FM Zarif Reiterates Dispatching Assistance to Beirut
Foreign Policy
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:45
FM Zarif Reiterates Dispatching Assistance to Beirut
TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif underlined his country’s solidarity with Lebanon, adding that Tehran keeps sending aids to Beirut to help the people who are reeling from a devastating blast.

Zarif made the remarks in a message referring to his Wednesday phone call with Lebanese counterpart Charbel Wehbe, noting Iran is sending field hospital and medicine to Lebanon.

"Reiterated Iran's strong and steadfast solidarity with people of Lebanon in call with FM Wehbe," he wrote on his Twitter account on Wednesday.

"Iran is sending field hospital & medicine to assist with disaster relief. Iran stands with Lebanon," Iran’s top diplomat added.

Earlier on Wednesday, Mohammad Javad Zarif had said to his Lebanese counterpart Charbel Wehbe that Tehran is ready to provide Lebanon with emergency supplies needed after the deadly blast in Beirut.

Zarif reiterated during his phone call on Wednesday with Wehbe that Iran is prepared to send humanitarian aids to help remove the sufferings of the Lebanese people.

Iran will stand by Lebanese people and government, he emphasized.

In an earlier message on Tuesday, Zarif had sympathized with Lebanese people over the deadly explosion which ripped through the capital Beirut, killing scores of people and injuring thousands of others.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the great and resilient people of Lebanon," Zarif wrote on his Twitter account late on Tuesday.

"As always, Iran is fully prepared to render assistance in any way necessary," he added.

"Stay strong, Lebanon," Iran’s Foreign Minister noted.

A massive explosion rocked the Lebanese capital of Beirut on Tuesday, killing over 100 people, wounding over 5,000 more, and smashing a vast area.

Terrifying footage showed a huge mushroom cloud of fire and smoke covering much of Beirut’s port area, blowing out windows and destroying buildings in the neighborhood, as a warehouse at the Beirut docks caught fire on Tuesday afternoon.

Photos on social media showed many buildings in the area damaged or destroyed, leaving residents covered in glass and blood.

Several smaller explosions were heard before the bigger one occurred and turned the city’s streets into a debris-strewn wasteland.

In addition to local authorities, more than 30 Red Cross teams are responding at the scene of the blast.

Health Minister Hamad Hassan blamed the explosion on a fireworks accident, ordering all hospitals in Beirut to prepare for the victims of the incident.

Head of the Lebanese Red Cross George Kettaneh also stated that hundreds of injured people were taken to hospital for treatment, while some still remain trapped in their homes.

Hotel Dieu Hospital in Beirut reported it was treating more than 500 injuries and was not able to receive more. Tens of injured needed operations, the hospital said appealing for blood donations. Rizq Hospital also said that it has admitted 400 wounded people.

The health ministry said all Beirut hospitals are overcrowded with those injured in the incident and can no more accomodate anyone.

Yet, the health minister told Lebanon's LBC News that hundreds are feared dead and thousands have been wounded in the blast. He added that the death toll has exceeded 100.

The Lebanese Red Cross also declared that some 5,000 people have been wounded in the incident, while the numbers are still expected to rise. It added that some 100 dead bodies have been collected from the scene of the incident so far.

Beirut Governor Marwan Abboud called it a "national catastrophe" and Prime Minister Hassan Diab declared a day of mourning.

“It resembles to what happened in Japan, in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. That’s what [it] reminds me of. In my life, I haven’t seen destruction on this scale," Abboud added.

Badri Zaher, Director General of the Lebanese Customs House, declared that dozens of tons of nitrate had exploded in the port of Beirut.

Lebanese General Security Director Abbas Ibrahim also dismissed rumors of Israeli involvement, noting that a large cache of highly explosive sodium nitrate was stored at the site, after being confiscated off a ship several months ago. But he did not explain how the fire has started.

Early reports said a short-circuit has likely sparked fire at the warehouse where the huge sodium nitrate cargo was kept and fire later spread to an adjacent warehouse where a huge cargo of fireworks was stored.

Yet, there is still no official report on the exact cause of the blast, while a UN spokesperson told reporters that his organization is still unsure whether the explosion was "an accidental or man-made act".

Later, the Israeli Defense Force denied responsibility for the massive explosions in Beirut. Hezbollah has also denied the blasts were the result of a rocket attack.

 

 

 

 

©2013 Fars News Agency. All rights reserved