“The reality is simple. The US is not a member of the nuclear deal to use the so-called snapback mechanism against Iran; even if the US were a member of the nuclear deal, it could not do the snapback without implementing its nuclear deal undertakings with a good will,” Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Mohsen Baharvand said, addressing a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Board of Governors in Vienna on Wednesday.
He added that if the members of the international community strongly stand against the US unilateral policies, the nuclear deal and related inspections carried out by the IAEA of Iran can continue.
“No one can expect my country to comply with all its nuclear deal undertakings without enjoying the rights emphasized in the agreement,” Baharvand said.
He also called on the EU, specially the three European members of the nuclear deal (Britain, France and Germany), to fully act upon their undertakings under the nuclear deal.
Iranian officials have warned that if the UN sanctions resolutions waived under the nuclear deal are reinstated as a result of the US trigger mechanism, Tehran would not hesitate to end the agreement.
A senior Iranian legislator on Wednesday warned the US and Europe that activation of the trigger mechanism against Iran will force the government to withdraw from all its undertakings based on the nuclear deal.
“We caution the enemy that if it wants to activate this mechanism, certainly the revolutionary parliament will require the government to drop all its undertakings based on the nuclear deal, including the Additional Protocol (to the Non-Proliferation Treaty),” Seyed Jalil Mir-Mohammadi said, addressing an open session of the parliament in Tehran.
He also called on the lawmakers to more seriously pursue approval of the triple-urgency bill which requires the government to adopt reciprocal measures against the US and European states’ collaboration at the UN Security Council against Tehran.
Another Iranian MP had also on Tuesday declared preparation of the parliament to approve the triple-urgency bill.
“The Europeans are playing a hypocritical game about the US attempts to activate the trigger mechanism and their declared policies are different from what they do,” Nasrollah Pejmanfar said, addressing an open session of the parliament.
He noted that the parliament should study the bad cop and good cop game launched by the US and the Europeans against Iran more thoroughly.
“The parliament has prepared a triple-urgency bill in this regard to adopt appropriate actions against the Europeans and Americans’ mischievous collaboration,” Pejmanfar said.
US President Donald Trump, a stern critic of the historic deal, unilaterally pulled Washington out of the JCPOA in May 2018, and unleashed the “toughest ever” sanctions against the Islamic Republic in defiance of global criticism in an attempt to strangle the Iranian oil trade, but to no avail since its "so-called maximum pressure policy" has failed to push Tehran to the negotiating table.
In response to the US’ unilateral move, Tehran has so far rowed back on its nuclear commitments four times in compliance with Articles 26 and 36 of the JCPOA, but stressed that its retaliatory measures will be reversible as soon as Europe finds practical ways to shield the mutual trade from the US sanctions.
Tehran has particularly been disappointed with failure of the three European signatories to the JCPOA -- Britain, France and Germany -- to protect its business interests under the deal after the United States' withdrawal.
On January 5, Iran took a final step in reducing its commitments, and said it would no longer observe any operational limitations on its nuclear industry, whether concerning the capacity and level of uranium enrichment, the volume of stockpiled uranium or research and development.
Now the US has stepped up attempts aimed at extending the UN arms ban on Iran that is set to expire as part of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which has been endorsed by Security Council Resolution 2231.
The US first sought to extend the Iran's arms embargo in a fresh UNSC resolution in contradiction to the contents of the Resolution 2231 in two attempts within a month, but failed.
The United Nations Security Council resoundingly rejected last month the second US bid to extend an arms embargo on Iran, which is due to expire in October.
The resolution needed support from nine of 15 votes to pass. Eleven members abstained, including France, Germany and Britain, while the US and the Dominican Republic were the only “yes” votes.
The United States has become isolated over Iran at the Security Council following President Donald Trump’s withdrawal from the multilateral Iran nuclear deal 2018.
Iran had said that the US resolution would fail to gain the required support at the Security Council, pointing out that Washington has no legal right to invoke a snapback mechanism to reinstate sanctions against Tehran under the 2015 nuclear deal that the US unilaterally left in May 2018.
In relevant remarks in August, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said it is by no means justifiable for the US to use Dispute Resolution Mechanism with regard to UNSC Resolution 2231.
"US recourse to Dispute Resolution Mechanism in 2231 has NO LEG TO STAND ON," Zarif wrote on his Twitter page late Sunday.
"AmbJohnBolton has repeated today what he said on May 8, 2018, while National Security Advisor in the Trump administration," he noted, adding, "At least he is consistent—a trait notably absent in this US administration."
Zarif' tweet came in reaction to former US National Security Advisor John Bolton's article in Wall Street Journal where he criticized US' decision to trigger ‘snapback mechanism’ against Iran, saying, "The agreement [Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action]’s backers argue that Washington, having withdrawn from the deal, has no standing to invoke its provisions. They’re right. It’s too cute by half to say we’re in the nuclear deal for purposes we want but not for those we don’t."